Tuesday, April 25, 2017

THE LEFTOVERS: DAMON LINDELOF ON THE GUILTY REMNANT'S FATE, MISSING CHARACTERS AND MUCH MORE; IGN.com, April 23, 2017

Eric Goldman, IGN.com; 

THE LEFTOVERS: DAMON LINDELOF ON THE GUILTY REMNANT'S FATE, MISSING CHARACTERS AND MUCH MORE


Warning: Full spoilers for The Leftovers: Season 3 premiere follow.


"IGN: You seem to have come to a pretty Zen place about criticism. A couple years ago, people were hating on Prometheus, among other movies you were working on in the wake of Lost, but then you debuted The Leftovers, which became especially acclaimed in Season 2. As someone who’s experienced those highs and lows, in terms of response, do you just feel like you have to do your work and then whatever happens after you put it out there, happens? And some reactions will be great, and some won’t, but it all evens out in the end?

Lindelof: Yeah. I mean, again, f**k you Vince Gilligan! [Laughs] It feels like everything the guy has ever done is amazing, and so it is possible, but I can’t live my life under the sort of “I cannot fail” philosophy, because then every time I do fail, which feels more inevitable than me being perfect all the time, it’s going to be soul crushing. And more importantly, I’ll never take any risks. And my feeling about the final season of Leftovers is we took a lot of risks. Maybe people will be into it, maybe they won’t. There’s no way to anticipate what the hive mind of the audience feels. We did take what the audience feels into account, but the stupidest thing that we could have done was take no risks. That would have been immensely disappointing for everyone. So when you’re out there on the high wire and you realize it’s more exciting to be walking it without a net, you have to be prepared for the consequences of what happens when you slip. And so as I’m lying down there on the ground, sucking my last breaths through my shattered body, I want to look up at the high wire and be like, “At least I tried.”"

No comments:

Post a Comment