Sunday, February 5, 2012

Always Be Proud to List ‘Waitress’ on Your Résumé: Interview with Amy Astley, editor in chief of Teen Vogue; New York Times, 2/4/12

Adam Bryant, Corner Office, New York Times; Interview with Amy Astley, editor in chief of Teen Vogue; Always Be Proud to List ‘Waitress’ on Your Résumé:

"Q. How do you find out about their work ethic?

A. You can get some of it off the résumé. You can call the people where they interned and find out what they were like. I also find that if you ask someone in an interview, “Are you a morning person?” the truth always flickers across their face, no matter what they say.

But, as I said, it also comes out in the résumé. I’ll see someone who was a waitress for many summers and I’ll say, “Well, tell me about that.” In today’s upwardly mobile résumé, you don’t always see that. You often see kids who’ve never had a job. But I love seeing someone who scooped ice cream or was a waitress. To me, it means they had to make some money and they had a job dealing with the public. And what was that all about? Tell me about it.

I had jobs like that, too, when I was a kid. I respect it. I respect all forms of work, and I don’t see it on a lot of résumés anymore. If I do see someone has had those kinds of jobs, that doesn’t necessarily mean they have a good work ethic, but it’s a jumping-off point where we can talk about it."

No comments:

Post a Comment