Thursday, September 30, 2010

Corner Office, Interview with Abbe Raven, president and C.E.O. of A&E Television Networks; New York Times, 9/26/10

Adam Bryant, Corner Office, New York Times; Interview with Abbe Raven, president and C.E.O. of A&E Television Networks: Want to Lead? Steer Clear of Rarefied Air:

"Q. Let’s talk about hiring. How do you do it?

A. No. 1, for me, is instinct, and I have a pretty good track record. And it’s a gut reaction when I first meet somebody, and I very often go with my instinct. To me, it’s all about who they are as a person, their chemistry, their charisma and their gravitas. Usually, they have the experience or, at least on paper, look like they do, but it’s really about who they are. Are they right for the chemistry of our team? Do they have qualities that someone else doesn’t have? Are they going to mesh well in our corporate culture?

I ask traditional questions, but also a lot about how they were brought up, their family life, where they went to high school. I try to understand their family, try to understand what they’re passionate about. Very often, it’s not necessarily about work. It’s about something else that gives me enormous insight into who they are and whether they are going to be successful here.

I insist on breaking bread with anyone I’m going to hire who’s going to work with me. I really feel that by having a couple of meals with someone, you get a sense of who they are. How do they walk into a restaurant, how do they deal with a waitress, how respectful are they to people around them?"

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/26/business/26corner.html?_r=1

No comments:

Post a Comment