Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Corner Office, Interview with Jilly Stephens, executive director of City Harvest; New York Times, 4/ 11/10

Corner Office, Adam Bryant; New York Times; Interview with Jilly Stephens, executive director of City Harvest:

"Q. Do you remember the first time you were somebody’s boss?

A. I was working for a big international charity. I was in Romania and was leading a team of international surgeons and nurses and engineers, and we were transitioning the leadership role to me. The person I was taking over for turned to me and said, “So, what would you do in this situation?”

It was tough. I can’t recall exactly what we were dealing with, but I remember that my response was, “Well, I think we need to get some more information and we need to talk to these people.” Which is what we did.

I think that was the lesson very early on. You may have a hunch about what’s happening or what’s going on. But you really have to take the time to talk to people and find out. And oftentimes your hunch is wrong.

Q. Other lessons?

A. The thing that comes immediately to mind was the first time I was responsible for implementing the results of a strategic plan, and was faced with the inevitable resistance from people who didn’t like the new direction.

Q. What was the context?

A. It was this medical charity. It’s an aircraft that’s converted to house an operating room, and you fly into developing countries to do surgery to restore sight. The strategic shift was recognizing that we’re never going to end global blindness like this. We need to go deeper into the communities where we’re working.

That was very threatening to the people at the organization who existed just to move this plane from country to country. What I began to experience in the leadership role was a lot of resistance, even down to refusing to go to the place where everyone in the entire organization was gathering from around the world to figure out how we were going to implement this.

I just realized there and then that, well, they had their opportunity to get on board and we’ve done everything we can to help them get on board. The organization has to move on and it looks, unfortunately, as if it’s going to be without them.

Q. What was the lesson from that experience?

A. You’re not always going to bring people along. Maybe they just can’t get with the new direction. It’s important to give them a moment to sort of realize what’s coming, give them a moment to understand it, to get on board, and really work closely with them to encourage them to get on board. But if it appears they can’t do it, then the organization has to move on. The organization really has to come first.

Q. How would you describe your leadership style?

A. I’m somebody who likes to support staff, to have in place things that our staff needs to do a really fantastic job. One of the ways we do that here at City Harvest is to have really clear expectations. The staff have clear objectives that they have to meet throughout the year...

Q. Was there a job you had as a teenager that prepared you the best for leadership?

A. At 17, I worked as a horseback-riding instructor — taking groups of people, often with children, out onto beaches, onto highways. Looking back on it, that was a big deal, and it was a lot of responsibility. We had to pay careful attention to make sure everybody was just doing the right thing, that everybody knew what they had to be doing and that they were doing it the right way.

Q. How do you hire? What questions do you ask people?

A. I’m looking for people who can express concisely what it is that appeals to them about the job they’re interviewing for. That’s always quite an interesting opening question, and I’m always surprised at the number of people who can still be answering it 15 minutes later.

I’m looking for people who are passionate about whatever job it is that they’re applying for here at City Harvest, and that they’re passionate about our mission: to help feed hungry New Yorkers.

Q. What’s it like to work with you day to day? Do you do a lot of all-hands meetings?

A. I’m more low-key. I do walk around. I’m introverted by nature, so I’m not somebody who’s holding sort of big rah-rah meetings. I love the idea of having a big bell outside my office that we can ring when we get a big donation, but it’s just not me. But I do spend time talking with people.

Q. A lot of managers are introverted, yet they’re expected to be extroverted in leadership roles. What’s your advice for them?

A. Find what fits for you. My predecessor here ran fantastic all-staff meetings every month that were just jaw-droppingly good. She was just so magnetic. I realized pretty quickly that wasn’t a mantle I should try to shoulder.

What works for me are these small group things, and we’ll come together as an organization maybe quarterly, usually around something significant like the beginning or the end of harvest season, which is the time when we raise most money and most food. Then I’ll spend time with people informally. But that big rah-rah meeting, I just can’t pull that off. I’d love to think I can, but I can’t.

Q. What’s your best advice to people who are becoming managers for the first time?

A. It’s important that you communicate clearly with people who are going to be reporting to you, that you be as open as possible about who you are, what they should know about you, what they should understand about you, and how you like to operate.

I remember learning that very early on in my own career — having to sit and think about what I needed to let people know about me. I even said to people that I’ve been told that I look angry a lot of the time, and I’m usually not. It’s just my face, so just don’t be put off by that.

Again, just be very clear about what you expect of the people who are going to be reporting to you. Meet with them regularly. Help keep them on track. Understand what it is they need to succeed. That’s it.

Q. What is your best career advice to somebody who’s just getting out of college?

A. Take a gap year. As someone who’s traveled the world extensively and who has nephews and nieces growing up in Europe where the gap year is very common, I just think it’s invaluable to get out there and experience the world and experience other cultures, because you’ve got a lifetime of work ahead of you. I just think to draw on that year of spending time outside of your immediate world is a good thing to do."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/11/business/11corner.html

No comments:

Post a Comment