Friday, September 25, 2026

OpenAI’s Systems Meddled With U.S. Government Sites After Going Rogue; The New York Times, September 25, 2026

 Kate CongerAna Swanson and  , The New York Times; OpenAI’s Systems Meddled With U.S. Government Sites After Going Rogue

"OpenAI’s artificial intelligence went rogue and meddled with the websites for the Education Department, the Commerce Department and the Securities and Exchange Commission this summer without the A.I. lab’s knowledge, according to security researchers and a person familiar with the episodes.

The incidents involving the Commerce Department and the S.E.C. were confirmed by OpenAI, which said it was continuing to investigate the situation with the Department of Education. The San Francisco company said it notified the government agencies in recent weeks that its A.I. agents — which are bots that can act autonomously — had interacted with their sites in unusual ways.

With the Education Department, OpenAI’s technology tried hacking the website to gather data from the department’s civil rights office but failed, researchers from the A.I. research firm Transluce said. The A.I. also pulled data from the Census Bureau website, which is housed at the Commerce Department, using login credentials it found online. Separately, OpenAI’s agents shared public data from the S.E.C. website on an online forum.

None of the incidents were breaches, OpenAI said, but were examples of its technology behaving in unexpected and concerning ways. The company recently discovered the occurrences while conducting a review of hacks carried out by its technology, including an attack on an Australian government website in June and on the A.I. start-up Hugging Face in July."

No comments:

Post a Comment