Saturday, September 12, 2026

Anthropic C.E.O. Calls for A.I. Slowdown; The New York Times, September 12, 2026

 , The New York Times; Anthropic C.E.O. Calls for A.I. Slowdown

In a 3,800-word essay, Dario Amodei laid out the rapidly advancing capabilities of artificial intelligence and said there needed to be greater safety controls across the industry.

"The chief executive of Anthropic called for a global slowdown of artificial intelligence development in a 3,800-word essay on Saturday, just days after one of the company’s employees quit over concerns about the safety of the technology.

Dario Amodei, who co-founded Anthropic to focus on securely and carefully building A.I., wrote that while he believed the technology could bring many benefits, it was advancing at too quick a pace for researchers to continue safely.

“Over the last few months, I have become convinced that fully addressing the risks requires even more prudence — not just investing in risk prevention, but pacing the rate of capabilities advancement so that risk prevention has time to keep up,” Mr. Amodei said. “We must slow the pace at which we improve the capabilities of A.I. models. Progress will still seem fast, and we must make wise use of the time we gain.”

His call for an industrywide pause follows months of escalating concerns across the technology industry as A.I. model development has made significant strides at companies like OpenAI, Google’s DeepMind and Anthropic."

No comments:

Post a Comment